1. The development course of food labeling in China • --- “General standard for the labeling of food (GB7718-87)” • --- “General standard for the labeling of food (GB7718-94)”
2. “General standard for the labeling of food (GB7718-94)”has as follows characteristics: (1) Maneuverability (2) It is further to alignment with international standard • (3) Adding some indispensable and beneficial item • (4) Match the principle of WTO
In order to cater to some changes, satisfy the needs of international trade, and alignment with international standard, China would further revise “General standard for the labeling of food”.
“General standard for the labeling of food” is a basic compulsory standard by which prepackaged food labeling must abide, moreover prepackaged food shall be described on any label or in any labeling according to the requirements of the state laws and regulations, and the related product standards.
The state law relating to food labeling has primarily: • ---“The standardization law of the People's Republic of China” • ---“Law of the People's Republic of China on product quality” • ---“Food hygiene law of the People's Republic of China food hygiene method”
For example: the labeling of Alcoholic beverage The labeling of alcoholic beverage must observe “Standard for the labeling of alcoholic beverage (GB10344-1989)”.
what is alcoholic beverage? • It means any beverage containing 0.5%～65.0%(V/V)of ethanol, including all kinds of fermented alcoholic drinks, distilled spirits, and integrated alcoholic beverages. 1. Scope 2. General principle
3. General guidance and requirement of the labeling (1) The name of alcoholic beverage --The name shall indicate the true nature of the alcoholic beverage and normally be specific. Where several names have been established in a product standard, at least one of these names shall be used. --The name of the alcoholic beverage shall be presented in a manner of large or bold word, and in a way to be the most attractive in the whole label.
(2) List of ingredients • what is ingredients? • It means any substance, including water and a food additive, used in the manufacture or preparation of a food and presented in the product (although possibly in a modified form). --The list of ingredients shall be named as “raw material” or “raw materials and ingredients”. For example, for beer, raw materials: water, malt, rice and hop. --All ingredients shall be listed in descending order of ingoing weight or volume at the time of the manufacture of the alcoholic beverage.
(3) Ethanol content • what is ethanol content? • It means the volume(mL)of ethanol in 100 mL of alcoholic beverage at 20℃,as percentage by volume；or the amount(g)of ethanol in 100 g of alcoholic beverage, as percentage by weight. --When declaring ethanol content, the word“ethanol content”shall be used as the title. --The way of declaring the alcohol content may be as the following: for beer, %(m/m) or %(V/V) by conversion formula; for the other alcoholic beverage, %(V/V).
(4) Amount of original wort or juice --The concentration (content) of original wort shall be declared on the label of beer. For example, a beer of twelve degrees of original wort shall be written as “12°beer”. --The content of original fruit juice used in the manufacture of fruit wine (including wine) shall be declared on the label. For example, “apple wine (50%)”means that there are fifty percent of original apple juices used for the manufacture of the apple wine.
(5) Net content --The net content of alcoholic beverage in any packing container (bottle, can, or barrel) shall be declared on the label. The declaration of net content shall be described in volume with a unit mL or L.
(6) Name and address of the manufacturer and distributor --The registered manufacturer, packer, distributor, or vendor of the food shall be declared. (7) Lot identification --It may be declared according to the method developed by the food manufacturer or distributor.
(8) Date of manufacture (date of filling) --The date of manufacture o the product shall be declared on the label. The date working shall apply in the sequence of year, month and day. --The date of manufacture shall be declared by printing, portraying, or the other method uprightly, correctly and clearly, and stand for a long time to be examined easily.
(9) Date of minimum durability (or use-by date) --The date marking shall apply in the sequence of the year, the month and the day. The date of minimum durability or the use-by date shall be declared in one of the following manners: a. "Best before... (For the date of minimum durability)"where the day is indicated; "Before...(for the use-by date)"where the day is indicated. b. "The date of minimum durability up to..."where the day is indicated; "The use-by date up to..." where the day is indicated. c. "The date of minimum durability of... months", "The use-by date of... months".
(10) Code of the product standard and quality grade --Quality grade of products must be also declared provided there are grades in the product standard. The way of declaration: write the grade in parentheses after the code and order number of the product standard. For example, GB 10718.1(1st grade).
(11) Type (or sugar content) of product --The type (or sugar content) of fruit wine, grape wine and Chinese rice wine shall be declared on the label. For example, for wine, type: half dry (or sugar content: 7.0 g/L). --The sugar content of Chinese integrated alcoholic beverages in the integrated alcoholic beverages shall be declared on the label. --The type of flavor of Chinese spirits shall be declared on the label.
(12) Alcoholic beverage for export --The labeling of the alcoholic beverage for export may be carried out in accordance with the contract.