Understanding Suffering and Its Effects
This lesson explores the concept of suffering and its impact on people's lives. It also examines various responses to suffering and ways to reduce it. Additionally, the lesson discusses whether suffering can have positive outcomes.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Understanding Suffering and Its Effects
PowerPoint presentation about 'Understanding Suffering and Its Effects'. This presentation describes the topic on This lesson explores the concept of suffering and its impact on people's lives. It also examines various responses to suffering and ways to reduce it. Additionally, the lesson discusses whether suffering can have positive outcomes.. The key topics included in this slideshow are suffering, harm, unpleasantness, responses, reduce, positive outcomes,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. What is Suffering? Learning Goal: Today I will identify ways people suffer.
2. Suffering is an unpleasantness associated with harm or the threat of harm. YOUR JOB: In groups of 3 you are brainstorming the following questions by adding points to the bubble in your notes 1. Why do people suffer in life? 2. What are ways people respond to suffering? 3. What can be done to reduce the suffering in the world? 4. Can suffering be a good thing? Explain why or why not in point form.
3. Why do people suffer in life?
4. What are ways people respond to suffering?
5. What can be done to reduce the suffering in the world?
6. Can Suffering be a good thing? Why or why not?
7. Suffering is important to human life because...... Suffering plays an important role in most religions, for matters like: Relief; moral conduct (do no harm, help the afflicted, show compassion ); spiritual advancement through life hardships or through self-imposed trials ( penance ); ultimate destiny ( salvation ).
8. 4 Responses to Suffering
9. 1. Hopelessness Response Meaning Example 1. Hopelessness Ignore suffering because nothing can be done about it. Feeling like you have no power. If you have no hope you will not try to change anything. War happens no matter what. ????
10. 2.INDIVIDUALISM 2. Individualism Independence and becoming an individual more important than other people and relationships Problems dont affect me personally, so I dont deal with them Believe people should deal with their own problems ***Me first attitude, even if others suffer. Im not homeless. Hungry people should get a better job.
11. 3. ENLIGHTENED SELF INTEREST 3. Enlightened self-interest By helping others Im actually helping myself or I may get help from others Ill feel good if I help others I get extra credit at school for doing community service. Favors will be returned one day if I do them for others
12. 4. Compassion 4. Compassion Helping others without really asking why other than they need it To understand in mind and heart, others suffering I know what it feels like to need others help, so I will help those I can I see God in everyone
13. Responses to Suffering Quiz Shoveling an elderly neighbors driveway because you might need a favor from them. Telling a homeless person to get a job. Deciding the environment is already polluted and it isnt going to get any better. A doctor who takes time to listen as well as give a prescription to a sick patient. Accept the fact that wars will happen and protesting against it is useless. Persuade the government to spend more on health care because you know you will need it someday Voting to build a new seniors facility near your house because your grandfather needs a place to live Standing up for a student who is being bullied because you know what it feels like to be centered out Not expressing your opinion because no one will agree Believing that people get AIDS because they were irresponsible, so they have to deal with it themselves Donating 2 cans of food for Civies day, but only because you want to wear your new jeans to school Giving a homeless teen some extra change because they look hungry and tired
14. As you watch the clips, write down as many forms of suffering you see. Where is the Love- Black eyed Peas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc Mr. Wendal Arrested Development http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyDjRd0Tjss Example: Hunger, Homelessness
15. Why is There Suffering? Read pages 14-19 in textbook
16. Journal Question: Suffering Watch video on Africa In your Journal answer the following questions: (2 paragraphs) Describe some of the Suffering you observed in the video? For what reasons do people suffer in Africa? What is YOUR response to the suffering you saw in the video? (HP, IN, ESI or CMP) Compare the suffering of people in Africa to North America. Do people suffer in the same ways? In what ways are they the same? Different?