The Hy Wire: A Hydrogen-Powered Concept Car by General Motors
The Hy Wire is a sustainable concept car that runs on hydrogen fuel cells and uses a drive by wire system to control the vehicle electronically. It eliminates the need for a conventional engine and has all the necessary equipment in a compact space.
- Uploaded on | 27 Views
About The Hy Wire: A Hydrogen-Powered Concept Car by General Motors
PowerPoint presentation about 'The Hy Wire: A Hydrogen-Powered Concept Car by General Motors'. This presentation describes the topic on The Hy Wire is a sustainable concept car that runs on hydrogen fuel cells and uses a drive by wire system to control the vehicle electronically. It eliminates the need for a conventional engine and has all the necessary equipment in a compact space.. The key topics included in this slideshow are Hy Wire, General Motors, hydrogen fuel cell, drive by wire system, sustainable car design,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. -BY ASHISH PANDEY (TE MECHANICAL)
2. The Hy-wire (Hydrogen drive-by - wire) is a concept car from General Motors originally introduced in January 2002. The car runs on hydrogen fuel cells. Uses a drive-by-wire system , meaning that the car is controlled electronically. No need of conventional engine. All equipments needed are in a very compact place.
3. Two basic elements largely dictate car design today: internal combustion engine hydraulic linkages
4. An internal combustion engine requires a lot of additional equipment to function correctly. No matter what else they do with a car, designers always have to make room. The same goes for mechanical and hydraulic linkages. But the basic function of a car remains the same however they are built.
5. DEPLETING CONVENTIONAL SOURCES INCREASING POLLUTION GLOBAL WARMING
6. 1 . Instead of an engine, it has a fuel cell stack , which powers an electric motor connected to the wheels. 2 . Instead of mechanical and hydraulic linkages, it has a drive by wire system based on input from an electronic controller. 3 . This is the same control system employed in modern fighter jets as well as many commercial planes .
7. A computer actually operates the components that move the wheels, activate the brakes and so on, based on input from an electronic controller. Electromechanical actuators and human- machine interfaces such as pedal and steering feel emulators are used. Very user friendly and comforting system
8. There is no steering wheel, there are no pedals and there is no engine compartment.
9. Every piece of equipment that actually moves the car along the road is housed in an 11-inch-thick (28 cm) aluminium chassis at the base of the car. Enough space inside. Better drive view.
11. Its the user machine interface. Can slide to either side of the vehicle Has two ergonomic grips, positioned to the left and right of small LCD monitor .
12. Glide the grips up and down lightly For steering Turn either grip, in the same way you would turn the throttle on a motorcycle To accelerate Squeeze either grip. For braking
13. 1. They also generate electricity by chemical reactions like batteries. 2. Can be continuously recharged 3. Very efficient.
14. Anode side: 2H2 => 4H+ + 4e- Cathode side: O2 + 4H+ + 4e- => 2H2O Net reaction: 2H2 + O2 => 2H2O
16. Made up of 200 individual cells connected in series. Collectively provide 94 kilowatts of continuous power and 129 kilowatts at peak power. The motor controller boosts this up to 250 to 380 volts and converts it to AC current to drive the three-phase electric motor that rotates the wheels
17. Power in remote areas such as parks Military application Home power generation Submarines
19. 1 FUEL EFFICIENT 2 ENVIRONMENT FRIENDLY 3 HIGH STABILITY 4 HIGHLY SPACIOUS 5 DRIVER FRIENDLY 6 FREEDOM OF INDIVIDUAL EXPRESSION
20. LOW SAFETY STORAGE OF HYDROGEN FUEL PRICING
21. General Motors says it fully intends to release a production version of the car in 2010, assuming it can resolve the major fuel and safety issues. It is certainly a good illustration of various ways cars might evolve in the near future.
22. THANK YOU