Understanding Old Testament Worship through Cain and Abel's Offering
The article delves into the story of Cain and Abel's offering and asks the question why Abel's offering was more excellent. By studying their worship practices, we can understand more about Old Testament worship and what pleases God.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Understanding Old Testament Worship through Cain and Abel's Offering
PowerPoint presentation about 'Understanding Old Testament Worship through Cain and Abel's Offering'. This presentation describes the topic on The article delves into the story of Cain and Abel's offering and asks the question why Abel's offering was more excellent. By studying their worship practices, we can understand more about Old Testament worship and what pleases God.. The key topics included in this slideshow are Old Testament worship, Cain and Abel, offering, faith, righteousness,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. OLD TESTAMENT WORSHIP By HAROLD HARSTVEDT
2. HOW DID CAIN AND ABEL WORSHIP THE LORD? GENESIS 4:3-5 3 It came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the LORD . 4 Abel brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat . And the LORD respected Abel and his offering, 5 But He did not respect Cain and his offering. Cain was very angry and his countenance fell. WHY WAS ABELS OFFERING MORE EXCELLENT? HEBREWS 11:4 4 By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain , through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks.
3. HOW DID NOAH WORSHIP THE LORD? GENESIS 8:20-22 20 Noah built an altar to the LORD , and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt offerings on the altar . 21 The LORD smelled a soothing aroma. Then the LORD said in His heart, "I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done. 22 "While the earth remains, Seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, and day and night shall not cease."
4. HOW DID ABRAM WORSHIP THE LORD? GENESIS 12:7-8 7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." And there he built an altar to the LORD , who had appeared to him. 8 And he moved from there to the mountain east of Bethel, and he pitched his tent with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; there he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the LORD .
5. HOW DID ABRAM WORSHIP THE LORD? GENESIS 13:3-4 3 Abram went on his journey from the South as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai, 4 To the place of the altar which he had made there at first. And there Abram called on the name of the LORD . GENESIS 13:18 18 Then Abram moved his tent, and went and dwelt by the terebinth trees of Mamre, which are in Hebron, and built an altar there to the LORD .
6. WHERE DID ABRAHAM AND ISAAC GO TO WORSHIP? GENESIS 22:1-13 1 It came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, Abraham! He said, Here I am. 2 God said, Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah , and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you . 3 So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him . 4 On the third day Abraham lifted his eyes and saw the place afar off. 5 Abraham said to his young men, Stay here with the donkey; the lad and I will go yonder and worship , and we will come back to you.
7. HOW DID ABRAHAM PREPARE FOR WORSHIP? GENESIS 22:1-13 6 Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together. 7 Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, My father! Abraham said, Here I am, my son. Then he said, Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? 8 Abraham said, My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering . So the two of them went together. 9 They came to the place of which God had told him. Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order ; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood . 10 Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.
8. HOW DID THE LORD PROVIDE THE SACRIFICE ? GENESIS 22:1-13 11 The Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, Abraham, Abraham! Abraham said, Here I am. 12 The Angel said, Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me. 13 Abraham lifted his eyes and looked. There behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns . So Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son . 14 Abraham called the name of the place, THE-LORD- WILL-PROVIDE ; as it is said to this day, In the Mount of The LORD it shall be provided.
9. HOW DID ABRAHAM PLEASE THE LORD? HEBREWS 11:8-10 8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going . 9 By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise; 10 For he waited for the city which has foundations , whose builder and maker is God.
10. WHY DID JACOB BUILT AN ALTAR? GENESIS 28:16-19 16 Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, Surely the LORD is in this place , and I did not know it . 17 He was afraid and said, How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God , and this is the gate of heaven! 18 Then Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put at his head, set it up as a pillar, and poured oil on top of it . 19 He called the name of that place Bethel ; but the name of that city had been Luz previously.
11. WHERE DID GOD TELL JACOB TO BUILD AN ALTAR? GENESIS 35:1-3 1 God said to Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel and dwell there; and make an altar there to God , who appeared to you when you fled from the face of Esau your brother. 2 Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves, and change your garments. 3 Let us arise and go up to Bethel . I will make an altar there to God , who answered me in the day of my distress and has been with me in the way which I have gone.
12. HOW DID JACOB WORSHIP GOD AT BETHEL? GENESIS 35:7-15 7 Jacob built an altar there and called the place El Bethel , because there God appeared to him when he fled from the face of his brother. 14 So Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He talked with him, a pillar of stone ; and he poured a drink offering on it , and he poured oil on it . 15 Jacob called the name of the place where God spoke with him, Bethel .
13. WHY WAS IDOL WORSHIP FORBIDDEN? EXODUS 20:1-5 1 God spoke all these words, saying: 2 I am the LORD your God , who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 You shall have no other gods before Me . 4 You shall not make for yourself a carved image , or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 You shall not bow down to them nor serve them . For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God , visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me.
14. HOW WAS ISREAL TO KEEP THE SABBATH? EXODUS 20:8 8 Remember the Sabbath Day , to keep it Holy . WHY BUILD THE LORD A SANCTUARY? EXODUS 25:8-9 8 Let them make Me a sanctuary , that I may dwell among them . 9 According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it.
15. WHY KEEP THE LAMP BURNING IN THE TABERNACLE? EXODUS 27:20-21 20 You shall command the children of Israel that they bring you pure oil of pressed olives for the light , to cause the lamp to burn continually . 21 In the tabernacle of meeting, outside the veil which is before the Testimony, Aaron and his sons shall tend it from evening until morning before the LORD . It shall be a statute forever to their generations on behalf of the children of Israel.
16. WHY MAKE AN ALTAR TO BURN INCENSE ON? EXODUS 30:1-6 1 You shall make an altar to burn incense on ; you shall make it of acacia wood. 2 A cubit shall be its length and a cubit its width-- it shall be square-- and two cubits shall be its height. Its horns shall be of one piece with it. 3 You shall overlay its top, its sides all around, and its horns with pure gold; and you shall make for it a molding of gold all around.
17. WHY MAKE AN ALTAR TO BURN INCENSE ON? EXODUS 30:1-6 4 Two gold rings you shall make for it, under the molding on both its sides. You shall place them on its two sides, and they will be holders for the poles with which to bear it. 5 You shall make the poles of acacia wood, and overlay them with gold. 6 You shall put it before the veil that is before the ark of the Testimony , before the mercy seat that is over the Testimony, where I will meet with you .
18. WHY DID ISRAEL WORSHIP THE GOLDEN CALF? EXODUS 32:8 8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them. They have made themselves a molded calf , and worshiped it and sacrificed to it , and said, This is your god , O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt ! HOW DID THEY WORSHIP OTHER GODS? NUMBERS 25:1-2 1 Israel remained in Acacia Grove, and the people began to commit harlotry with the women of Moab . 2 They invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods , and the people ate and bowed down to their gods .
19. WHY SET THE TABERNACLE OUTSIDE THE CAMP? EXODUS 33:7-10 7 Moses took his tent and pitched it outside the camp, far from the camp , and called it the tabernacle of meeting . It came to pass that everyone who sought the LORD went out to the tabernacle of meeting which was outside the camp . 8 Whenever Moses went out to the tabernacle , all the people rose and each man stood at his tent door and watched Moses until he had gone into the tabernacle. 9 It came to pass, when Moses entered the tabernacle , that the pillar of cloud descended and stood at the door of the tabernacle , and the LORD talked with Moses . 10 All the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the tabernacle door, and all the people rose and worshiped , each man in his tent door .
20. WHY DESTROY THE ALTARS OF IDOL WORSHIPERS? EXODUS 34:13-17 13 You shall destroy their altars, break their sacred pillars , and cut down their wooden images . 14 You shall worship no other god , for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God 15 Lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land , and they play the harlot with their gods and make sacrifice to their gods and one of them invites you and you eat of his sacrifice, 16 Lest you take of his daughters for your sons , and his daughters play the harlot with their gods and make your sons play the harlot with their gods. 17 You shall make no molded gods for yourselves.
21. HOW WAS ISRAEL TO KEEP THE SABBATH? LEVITICUS 19:30 30 You shall keep my Sabbaths and reverence my sanctuary : I am the LORD. LEVITICUS 26:1-2 1 You shall not make idols for yourselves ; neither a carved image nor a sacred pillar shall you rear up for yourselves; NOR shall you set up an engraved stone in your land, to bow down to it ; for I am the LORD your God. 2 You shall keep My Sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary : I am the LORD.
22. HOW WERE THEY TO KEEP THE SABBATH? NUMBERS 28:9-10 9 On the Sabbath day two lambs in their first year , without blemish, and two-tenths of an ephah of fine flour as a grain offering, mixed with oil, with its drink offering-- 10 This is the burnt offering for every Sabbath , besides the regular burnt offering with its drink offering.
23. HOW IS IDOL WORSHIP DEFINED? DEUTERONOMY 4:15-19 15 Take careful heed to yourselves, for you saw no form when the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire, 16 Lest you act corruptly and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of any figure : the likeness of male or female, 17 The likeness of any beast that is on the earth or the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air, 18 The likeness of anything that creeps on the ground or the likeness of any fish that is in the water beneath the earth. 19 And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven , you feel driven to worship them and serve them , which the LORD your God has given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage.
24. HOW IS IDOL WORSHIP DEFINED? DEUTERONOMY 5:6-9 6 I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 7 You shall have no other gods before Me . 8 You shall not make for yourself any carved image- - any likeness of anything that is in heaven above , or that is in the earth beneath , or that is in the water under the earth ; 9 You shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
25. WHO CHOSE THE PLACE TO WORSHIP? DEUTERONOMY 12:11-14 11 There will be the place where the LORD your God chooses to make His name abide . There you shall bring all that I command you: your burnt offerings , your sacrifices , your tithes , the heave offerings of your hand, and all your choice offerings which you vow to the LORD. 13 Take heed to yourself that you do not offer your burnt offerings in every place that you see ; 14 BUT in the place which the LORD chooses , in one of your tribes, there you shall offer your burnt offerings , and there you shall do all that I command you.
26. WHO CHOSE THE PLACE TO SACRIFICE THE PASSOVER? DEUTERONOMY 16:5-6 5 You may not sacrifice the Passover within any of your gates which the LORD your God gives you; 6 BUT at the place where the LORD your God chooses to make His name abide, there you shall sacrifice the Passover at twilight , at the going down of the sun, at the time you came out of Egypt. WHO SHOULD BE THERE? DEUTERONOMY 16:11 11 You shall rejoice before the LORD your God, you and your son and your daughter , your male servant and your female servant , the Levite who is within your gates, the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are among you, at the place where the LORD your God chooses to make His name abide.
27. WHO CHOSE THE PLACE TO READ THE LAW? DEUTERONOMY 31:11-13 11 When all Israel comes to appear before the LORD your God in the place which He chooses , you shall read this law before all Israel in their hearing . 12 Gather the people together, men and women and little ones , and the stranger who is within your gates, that they may hear and that they may learn to fear the LORD your God and carefully observe all the words of this law , 13 And that their children, who have not known it, may hear and learn to fear the LORD your God as long as you live in the land which you cross the Jordan to possess.
28. WHAT DID THE LORD SAY TO MOSES? DEUTERONOMY 31:16 16 The LORD said to Moses: Behold, you will rest with your fathers; and this people will rise and play the harlot with the gods of the foreigners of the land , where they go to be among them, and they will forsake Me and break My covenant which I have made with them . WHERE DID MOSES PUT THE BOOK OF THE LAW? DEUTERONOMY 31:26 26 Take this Book of the Law , and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God , that it may be there as a witness against you.
29. WHO DID JOSHUA READ THE BOOK OF LAW TO? JOSHUA 8:34-35 34 Joshua read all the words of the law , the blessings and the cursings, according to all that is written in the Book of the Law . 35 There was not a word of all that Moses had commanded which Joshua did not read before all the congregation of Israel , with the women , the little ones , and the strangers who were living among them.
30. WHERE DID THEY SET UP THE TABERNACLE? JOSHUA 18:1 1 The congregation of the children of Israel assembled at Shiloh and set up the tabernacle of meeting there . The land was subdued before them. WHERE WAS THE ARK OF THE COVENANT? JUDGES 20:27 27 The children of Israel inquired of the LORD at Shiloh , for the Ark of the Covenant of God was there in those days. 1 SAMUEL 1:9 9 Hannah arose after they had finished eating and drinking in Shiloh . Eli the priest was sitting on the seat by the doorpost of the tabernacle of the LORD .
31. WHERE DID THEY PUT THE ARK OF GOD? 2 SAMUEL 6:12 12 It was told King David, saying, The LORD has blessed the house of Obed-Edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God. So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with gladness. 2 SAMUEL 6:17 17 They brought the ark of the LORD , and set it in its place in the midst of the tabernacle that David had erected for it. Then David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD. 1 KINGS 8:6 6 The priests brought in the ark of the covenant of the LORD to its place , into the inner sanctuary of the temple, to the Most Holy Place, under the wings of the cherubim .
32. HOW DID THE LORD WANT THEM TO WORSHIP? 2 KINGS 17:36 36 The LORD , who brought you up from the land of Egypt with great power and an outstretched arm, Him you shall fear, Him you shall worship , and to Him you shall offer sacrifice . (MATTHEW 4:10 LUKE 4:8) IS READING THE BOOK OF THE COVENANT WORSHIP? 2 KINGS 23:2 2 Josiah went up to the house of the LORD with all the men of Judah, and with him all the inhabitants of Jerusalem-- the priests and the prophets and all the people, both small and great. He read in their hearing all the words of the Book of the Covenant which had been found in the house of the LORD.
33. WHY DID EZRA READ THE BOOK OF THE LAW? NEHEMIAH 8:2-3 2 Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly of men and women : all who could hear with understanding on the first day of the seventh month. 3 He read from it in the open square that was in front of the Water Gate from morning until midday , before the men and women: those who could understand. And the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law . HOW DID THEY CAUSE THE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND? NEHEMIAH 8:7-8 7 .. They caused the people to understand the Law . 8 They read the Book in the Law of God distinctly and gave the sense and caused them to understand the reading .
34. WHY DID JOB OFFER BURNT OFFERINGS? JOB 1:5 5 When the days of feasting had run their course, that Job would send and sanctify them. He would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all . For Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts . Thus Job did regularly. HOW DID JOB BLESS THE NAME OF THE LORD? JOB 1:21 21 Job said: Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away . Blessed be the name of the LORD .
35. HOW DID DANIEL WORSHIP THE LORD? DANIEL 6:10 10 When Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. In his upper room , with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day , prayed and gave thanks before his God , as was his custom since early days. HOW DID DANIEL SERVE THE LORD? DANIEL 6:16 16 The king gave the command and they brought Daniel and cast him into the den of lions. But the king spoke, saying to Daniel, Your God, whom you serve continually, He will deliver you .
36. WHY DID THE LORD PROTECT DANIEL? DANIEL 6:20-23 20 When the king came to the den, he cried out with a lamenting voice to Daniel. The king spoke, saying Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to deliver you from the lions ? 21 Daniel said to the king, O king, live forever! 22 My God sent His angel and shut the lions' mouths , so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him . I have done no wrong before you. 23 The king was exceedingly glad and commanded that they should take Daniel up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den and no injury whatever was found on him, because he believed in his God .
37. HOW WAS NOAH, DANIEL AND JOB ABLE TO DELIVER THEIR SOULS? EZEKIEL 14:14 14 If these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it (the world), they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness , says the Lord GOD. WERE THEY ABLE TO DELIVER ANYONE ELSE? EZEKIEL 14:20 20 Though Noah, Daniel and Job, were in it (the world), as I live, said the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither son nor daughter ; they shall but deliver their own souls by their Righteousness .
38. WHO WILL COME TO WORSHIP THE LORD? PSALMS 86:9 9 All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O Lord , and shall glorify Your name. HOW SHOULD WE WORSHIP THE LORD? PSALMS 96:8-9 8 Give to the LORD the glory due His name ; bring an offering, and come into His courts. 9 Oh, worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness ! Tremble before Him, all the earth. WHERE SHOULD WE WORSHIP THE LORD? PSALMS 99:5 5 Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at His footstool- - He is Holy.
39. WHO WILL THE LORD BRING TO HIS HOLY MOUNTAIN? ISAIAH 56:4-7 4 Thus says the LORD: To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths , and choose what pleases Me , and hold fast My covenant , 5 Even to them I will give in My house and within My walls a place and a name better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off. 6 Also the sons of the foreigner who join themselves to the LORD , to serve Him , and to love the name of the LORD , to be His servants- - everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, and holds fast My covenant-- 7 Even them I will bring to My holy mountain , and make them joyful in My house of prayer . Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on My altar; for My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations .
40. WHY WOULD THEY FORGET THE ARK OF THE COVENENT? JEREMIAH 3:16-17 16 It shall come to pass, when you are multiplied and increased in the land in those days, says the LORD, that they will say no more , 'The ark of the covenant of the LORD .' It shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they visit it, nor shall it be made anymore. 17 At that time Jerusalem shall be called The Throne of the LORD , and all the nations shall be gathered to it , to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem. No more shall they follow the dictates of their evil hearts. WHAT SHOULD BE TOLD TO THEM? JEREMIAH 26:2 2 Thus says the LORD: Stand in the court of the LORD'S house and speak to all the cities of Judah , which come to worship in the LORD'S house , all the words that I command you to speak to them . Do not diminish a word.
41. WHERE WOULD THEY GO TO SEEK THE LORD? ZECHARIAH 8:21-23 21 The inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, Let us continue to go and pray before the LORD, and seek the LORD of hosts . I myself will go also. 22 Yes, many peoples and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem , and to pray before the LORD . 23 Thus says the LORD of hosts: In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve of a Jewish man, saying , Let us go with you , for we have heard that God is with you .
42. WHO SHALL GO TO WORSHIP THE KING? ZECHARIAH 14:16 16 It shall come to pass that everyone who is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to worship the King , the LORD of hosts, AND to keep the Feast of Tabernacles .
43. WHERE SHOULD THEY GO TO WORSHIP THE FATHER? JOHN 4:20-21 20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain , and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship . 21 Jesus said to her, Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain , nor in Jerusalem , worship the Father . WHY DID THEY NOT KNOW HOW TO WORSHIP? JOHN 4:22 22 You worship what you do not know ; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.
44. HOW DOES THE FATHER SEEK TO WORSHIP HIM? JOHN 4:23 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth ; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him . HOW MUST WE WORSHIP GOD? JOHN 4:24 24 God is Spirit and those who worship Him MUST worship in spirit and truth .