Mixed Conditional Sentences
Learn the correct verb forms for 1st and 2nd conditional sentences with mixed types. Practice using verbs in context with examples.
- Uploaded on | 5 Views
About Mixed Conditional Sentences
PowerPoint presentation about 'Mixed Conditional Sentences'. This presentation describes the topic on Learn the correct verb forms for 1st and 2nd conditional sentences with mixed types. Practice using verbs in context with examples.. The key topics included in this slideshow are conditional sentences, mixed types, verb forms, practice, examples,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. Mixed Types
2. 1.- If she (come) ____________ late again, shell lose her job. 2.- Ill let you know if I (find) ______________ out whats happening. 3.- If we (live) ________________ in a town, life would be easier. 4.- Im sure he wouldnt mind if we (arrive) ____________________ early. 5.- We (phone) ___________________ you if we have time. 6.- If I won the lottery, I (give)_________________ half the money. 7.- It (be) ________________ a pity if she married Fred. 8.- If Im free on Saturday, I (go) _______ to the mountains. 9.- She (have) ______________ a nervous breakdown if she goes on like this. 10.- I know Ill feel better if I (stop) __________________ smoking. Choose the correct verb form (1st & 2nd conditionals) comes find lived arrived will phone would give would be will go will have stop
3. 1.- I didnt know you were coming. If I (know) ____________ , I (invite) ______________________ some friends in. 2.- His father was ill. He (go) ____________________ to university if his father (not be) _________________ill. 3.- You didnt say you were hungry. If you (say) _____________ you werent hungry, I (not cook) ____________________ such a big meal. 4.- John didnt play well. The team (win)_______________ if John (play)____________better. 5.- They cut off the electricity. If they (not cut)__________ off the electricity, I (finish) ___________________my work. Choose the correct verb form (3rd conditional) had known would have invited would have gone had not been had said wouldnt have cooked would have won had played had not cut would have finished
4. 6.- Bell invented the phone. If Bell (not invent) _________________the telephone, somebody else __________________(do) it. 7.- You spent so much time making up If you (not spend) ________________ so much time making up, we (not be) ___________________ late. 8.- The burglars got in. But the burglars (not get) __________________in if you (remember) ________________ to lock the door. 9.- He was a film star. If he (not be) _____________ a film star, he (not become) _____________________President. 10.- She didnt have much sense. If she (have)___________ more sense, she (sell)_________________ her car years ago. Choose the correct verb form (3rd conditional) had not invented would have done had not spent would not have been would not have got had remembered had not been wouldnt have become had had would have sold
5. 11.- He spent a lot opn his holiday. If he (spend) _______________ so much on his holiday, he (have) _______________ enough to pay for the house. 12.- You didnt take your coat. You (not catch)_______________________a cold if you (take) ________________your coat. 13.- You didnt run fast. You (win)_________________ if you (run) ________________a bit faster. 14.- We didnt get good tickets. We (get)_________________ better tickets if we (book) ______________earlier. 15.- You didnt ask me for help. It (be)__________________ better if you (ask) __________________me for help. 16.- If Cleopatras nose (be) ___________shorter, the whole history of the world (be) _________________different. Choose the correct verb form (3rd conditional) had not spernt would have had wouldnt have caught had taken would have won had run would have got had booked would have been had asked had been would have been
6. Conditional sentences Mixed Types 1.a. She will take care of the children for us next weekend because her business trip was cancelled. 1.b. But, she (take, not) _______________________ care of the children for us next weekend if her business trip (be, not) _________________ cancelled. would not be taking had not been
7. 2.a. Tom is not going to come to dinner tomorrow because you insulted him yesterday. 2.b. But, he (come) ________________ if you (insult) ___________________ him. would come had not insulted
8. 3.a. Marie is unhappy because she gave up her career when she got married. 3.b. But, Marie (be) _______________ happy if she__________________(give, not) up her career when she got married. would be had not given
9. 4.a. Dr. Mercer decided not to accept the research grant at Harvard because he is going to take six months off to spend more time with his family. 4.b. But, Dr. Mercer ______________________(accept) the research grant at Harvard if he_________________ (take, not) six months off to spend more time with his family. would have accepted were not going
10. 5.a. Professor Schmitz talked so much about the Maasai tribe because she is an expert on African tribal groups. 5.b. But, Professor Schmitz _______________________ (talk, not) so much about the Maasai tribe if she ______________________ (be, not) an expert on African tribal groups. wouldnt have talked were not
11. 6.a. I am unemployed because I had a disagreement with my boss and I was fired. 6.b. But, I ________________________(be, not) unemployed if I __________________________ (have, not) a disagreement with my boss and I _______________________(be, not) fired. wouldnt be had not had had not been
12. 7.a. Nicole speaks Chinese fluently because she lived in China for ten years. 7.b. But, Nicole (speak, not) _______________ Chinese fluently if she ___________________ (live, not) in China for ten years. wouldnt speak had not lived
13. 8.a. I will not help you study for your test because you have spent the last two weeks partying and wasting time. 8.b. But, I ___________________ (help) you study for your test if you _______________________(spend, not) the last two weeks partying and wasting time. would help had not spent
14. 9.a. Eleanor and Ben are not going skiing with us this year because Eleanor just had a baby. 9.b. But, Eleanor and Ben (go) ____________________ skiing with us this year if Eleanor (have, not, just) ___________________ a baby. would be going had not just had
15. 10.a. I am completely exhausted, so I will not go with you to the movies tonight. 10.b. But, if I ___________________ (be, not) completely exhausted, I ____________________(go) with you to the movies tonight. were not would go
16. 11.a. She is not worried about the conference tomorrow because she is not giving a speech. 11.b. But, she (be) ___________________ worried about the conference tomorrow if she (give) ______________ a speech. would be were giving
17. 12.a. Frank is not going to the graduation ceremony because he broke his leg snowboarding last week. 12.b. But, Frank (go) ____________________ to the graduation ceremony if he (break)_________________ his leg snowboarding last week. would be going had not broken
18. 13.a. They are not releasing the prisoner next month because there was so much public opposition to his parole. 13.b. But, they (release)_________________________ the prisoner next month if there (be) ______________________so much opposition to his parole. would be releasing had not been
19. 14.a. The hotels filled up months in advance because the festival is going to include jazz artists from around the globe. 14.b. But, the hotels (fill)_______________________ up months in advance if the festival (include)____________________ jazz artists from around the globe. would not have filled had not included
20. 15.a. We are not worried about the recent string of robberies in the neighborhood because the police have started regularly patrolling the area. 15.b. But, we (be) __________________ worried about the recent string of robberies in the neighborhood if the police (start, not) ___________________regularly patrolling the area. would be had not started
21. Conditional Chains - I 1.- He worked hard passed exams went to university studied languages learnt Chinese went to China went climbing in the Tibet tried to climb Everest disappeared in a snowstorm. If he hadnt worked hard, he wouldnt have passed his exams. If he hadnt passed her exams, he wouldnt have gone to university. If he hadnt gone to university, he wouldnt have studied languages. If he hadnt studied languages, he wouldnt have learnt Chinese. If he hadnt learnt Chinese, he wouldnt have gone to China. If he hadnt gone to China, he wouldnt have gone climbing in the Tibet. If he hadnt gone climbing in the Tibet, he wouldnt have tried to climb the Everest. If he hadnt tried to climb the Everest, he wouldnt have disappeared in a snowstorm. If he hadnt worked hard, he wouldnt have disappeared in a snowstorm.
22. Conditional Chains - II 1.- He bought a bike went for ride in country fell off woke up in hospital met beautiful nurse wrote bestselling novel about her got rich married nurse and had three children lived happily ever after If he hadnt bought a bike, he wouldnt have gone for a ride in the country. If he hadnt gone for a ride in the country, he wouldnt have fallen off. If he hadnt fallen off, he wouldnt have woken in hospital. If he hadnt woken in hospital, he wouldnt have met a beautiful nurse. If he hadnt met a beautiful nurse, he wouldnt have written a bestselling novel about her. If he hadnt written a bestselling novel about her, he wouldnt have got rich. If he hadnt got rich, he wouldnt have married and had three children. If he hadnt married and had three children, he wouldnt have lived happily ever after. If he hadnt bought a bike, he wouldnt have lived happily ever after.
23. Conditional Chains - III 1.- Marys mother went out that evening Mary cooked for herself got interested in cooking open very successful restaurant had Prime Minister as costumer PM ordered mussels mussels poisoned PM PM died . Mary went to prison for life If Marys mother hadnt gone out, Mary wouldnt have cooked for herself. If Mary hadnt cooked for herself, she wouldnt have got interested in cooking. If she hadnt got interested in cooking, she wouldnt have opened a successful restaurant. If she hadnt opened a successful restaurant, she wouldnt have had the Prime Minister as a customer. If she hadnt had the Prime Minister as a customer , the Prime Minister wouldnt have ordered mussels. If the Prime Minister hadnt ordered mussels, the mussels wouldnt have poisoned him. If the mussels hadnt poisoned him, the PM wouldnt have died. If the PM hadnt died, Mary wouldnt have gone to prison forlife. If Marys mother hadnt gone out, Mary wouldnt have gone to prision for life.