Kea Modern DHCP Engine and Its Primary Author, Tomek Mrugalski
Learn about Kea, an open source DHCP engine, and the man behind it all, Tomek Mrugalski. Discover his background, experience, and contributions to the field.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Kea Modern DHCP Engine and Its Primary Author, Tomek Mrugalski
PowerPoint presentation about 'Kea Modern DHCP Engine and Its Primary Author, Tomek Mrugalski'. This presentation describes the topic on Learn about Kea, an open source DHCP engine, and the man behind it all, Tomek Mrugalski. Discover his background, experience, and contributions to the field.. The key topics included in this slideshow are Kea, DHCP engine, open source, Tomek Mrugalski, Dibbler, ISC DHCP,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. Kea Modern DHCP Engine Open Source WG RIPE68, Warsaw, Poland 14 May 2014 Tomek Mrugalski
2. Who is Tomek? M.Sc., Ph.D from Gdansk University of Technology Primary author of Dibbler Portable DHCPv6 implementation (srv, cli, relay) Supports Win 2k-Win8, Linux, BSD, Solaris Confirmed use in 34 countries 7 years at Intel (Network Quality Labs, chipsets group) 3 years at ISC Lead Developer of Kea (formerly BIND10 DHCP) Occasional contributor to ISC-DHCP Active IETF participant since 2009 DHC WG co-chair 4 RFCs, 18+ drafts (all DHCP-related)
3. ISC DHCP Open-Source Managed open source model (closed repository, semi-closed bug system) First version released in 1997 Default DHCP software in many distributions Server/relay/client for IPv4 & IPv6 Feature-rich
4. Why new DHCP implementation? Existing code is 18 years old Networks have changed Hardware has changed Use cases have changed Drawbacks with ISC DHCP Complex code, difficult to extend Documentation lacking Performance not always sufficient Partial dynamic configuration (OMAPI)
5. Kea and BIND10 history ISC has been developing BIND10 since late 2009 DHCP components started in mid-2011 ISC stopped BIND10 development in April 2014 => Bundy (non-ISC, http://bundy-dns.de) => Kea (ISC, http://kea.isc.org)
6. DHCPv4 Server Kea :: Overview DHCPv6 Server DNS Updates perfdhcp general purpose DHCP library IPv4/IPv6 packet parsing/assembly IPv4/IPv6 options parsing/assembly interface detection (Linux, partial BSD/Mac OS) socket management libdhcp++
7. DHCPv4 Server Kea :: Current status DHCPv6 Server DDNS Address assignment, renewal, release Expiration: expired lease can be reused Flexible option definitions Standard options Custom options Nested options Option namespaces Vendor options (including DOCSIS3.0) Prefix Delegation (DHCPv6) DNS Updates (conflict resolution, no TSIG yet) Dynamic reconfiguration (no restart needed)
8. DHCPv4/6 server Kea :: Switchable lease database MySQL PgSQL Memfile C++ Abstract LeaseMgr MySQL Can use standard tools to read/update PostgreSQL Can use standard tools to read/update Performance: ??? (havent measured yet) Memfile Custom developed in C++ Flat file storage (CSV) Offers memory-only and memory+disk-write Very high performance (in in-memory mode), high performance in memory+disk mode) Abstract LeaseMgr C++ class, add your favourite storage Scalable 2M devices
9. Hooks :: Extending the Kea server User Library 1 User Library 2 F1() F2() G1() G2() Step A Step A Step B Step B Step C Step C Step D Step D Step E Step E Kea server Custom library1 Custom library2 DHCP packet processing
10. Kea Roadmap (1) Kea 0.8 (April 2014) Available now in BIND 10 1.2 ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind10/1.2.0/bind10-1.2.0.tar.gz Kea 0.9 (Summer 2014) Dropping BIND 10 framework* Configuration stored in JSON file Keeping on-line reconfiguration (signals, better solution TBD) Complete FreeBSD (stretch) * Details TBD, tentative plan: retain capability to build stand-alone and pluggable into Bundy framework
11. Kea Roadmap (2) 1.0 Q2 2015 Host reservation Client classification Full lease expiration Host reservation Client classification Full lease expiration 0.9 Q3 2014 Disclaimer 1: The team has not yet scoped beyond 1.0 Disclaimer 2: Dates are tentative and subject to change. 2014 BIND10 framework removal JSON configuration BSD (stretch) BIND10 framework removal JSON configuration BSD (stretch) Failover/HA solution Statistics MAC in DHCPv6 Reconfiguration iPXE External API completion Failover/HA solution Statistics MAC in DHCPv6 Reconfiguration iPXE External API completion 2.0 2015 Configuration migration Basic GUI ISC DHCP feature uplift Configuration migration Basic GUI ISC DHCP feature uplift 3 .0 2016 2017-18 ISC DHCP EOL? 2017-18 ISC DHCP EOL?
12. Want to help? Kea is fully open source Core repository is public Bug datatase public Mailing lists, jabber public Test, report bugs Contribute Submit patches (read Contributors Guide first) We are looking for sponsors (money and developers) Development contracts Review design documents (e.g. requirements) http://kea.isc.org Looking for contributions: Additional back ends Apps via Hooks API Basic GUI
13. Thank you kea.isc.org