Simulation, Surveys, and Visualisation: GeoVue to GENeSIS
Learn about the GeoVue project's use of MapTube for crowd-sourced surveys, and the latest work from the follow-on grant project, GENeSIS, which models agent-based behaviors in a 3D world.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Simulation, Surveys, and Visualisation: GeoVue to GENeSIS
PowerPoint presentation about 'Simulation, Surveys, and Visualisation: GeoVue to GENeSIS'. This presentation describes the topic on Learn about the GeoVue project's use of MapTube for crowd-sourced surveys, and the latest work from the follow-on grant project, GENeSIS, which models agent-based behaviors in a 3D world.. The key topics included in this slideshow are GeoVue, MapTube, crowd-sourcing, agent-based modeling, 3D world,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. Simulation, Surveys and Visualisation : From GeoVue to GENeSIS Andrew Hudson-Smith Andrew Hudson-Smith Richard Milton Richard Milton University College London University College London http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk The seminar is split into two distinct halves, firstly it explores the use of MapTube from the GeoVue project for crowd sourced surveys, notably for mapping the Credit Crunch for BBC Radio 4 PM show and Anti-Social behaviour with BBC Look East. We take a look at methods and techniques of crowd soucing as well as a look at the future of the MapTube concept with the intergration of Open Layers and Open StreetMap. Secondly we look at the latest work out of the follow on grant from GeoVue known as GENeSIS, we take a look at methods and techniques for modelliing agent based behaviours in a 3D world, moving towards a populated SimCity for Real.
2. GeoVUE Family Tree GMapCreator Google Image Tools MapTube Second Life GMap ImageCutter Photo Overlay Creator BayScience Big Image Cutter Shape Builder Mood Maps London Profiler Virtual London GEarth Creator GeoVUE
3. Image Cutter http://chs75.harvard.edu/manuscripts/ http://www.thekremercollection.com/art/ Its a zero-install option Fine Art, Ancient Greek Manuscripts and Creatures?
4. http://www.maptube.org/creditc runch/ 23,475 responses April, May, June 2008 A new credit crunch survey started in October and currently has 3,802 responses.
5. Real-time Mood Maps Create Shapefile Script Database GMapCreator Postcodes What single factor is hurting you most about the credit crunch? Fuel
6. http://www.maptube.org/lookeas t July, August, September 2008 6,902 responses BBC Look East: Anti-Social Behaviour
7. BBC Look East: Credit Crunch September 2008 2,052 responses (with age group) http://www.maptube.org/LookEastCreditCrunch/
8. Manchester Congestion Charge 15,902 responses October to December 2008
9. Manchester Unit Postcode Data Of the 15,902 responses, 90% gave the full unit postcode. Movie
10. How to Manipulate an Online Survey Just keep putting the same answer in for one postcode, or a group of postcodes SELECT DISTINCT UserHostAddress FROM Answers and build a map... Exhibit A: A map of only the duplicate records, showing the colour of the class with the most votes.
11. How Not to Manipulate an Online Survey Counts of Drive and Pay the Charge Counts of Use Public Transport 0-20 20-30 30-40 40-50 50+
12. How Not to Manipulate an Online Survey Counts of Work or Shop Elsewhere 0-20 20-30 30-40 40-50 50+ So how do you manipulate it? Feed the form data to the server directly Spoof the return address in the TCP packet
13. Labelling Maps 1. Labels are drawn over the correct feature (crescent shapes) 2. Features have an order of importance 3. No two labels may overlap 4. When a label becomes visible at a particular zoom level, it must be on all subsequent zoom levels
14. How Does MapTube Work? It uses the map IDs to obtain XML data describing the map layers and uses XSLT to transform this representation into the xhtml page you see here.
15. Render Request, Render, Cache Request Cache Lookup Hit Miss Data
16. Selective Cache Flushing Throw away what has changed and keep the rest. Were currently creating about 66,000 tiles and hour.
17. On the Fly Rendering and Caching 12Z October 26 th 2008 Its Sunday, its overcast and its raining heavily in London. At least Im not in Eastbourne though, as they had sleet recently. Write a renderer for the weather data which is derived from the base renderer class. Then write a generic web handler that creates a tile cache with it.
18. Web GIS and Interactivity Display Tile Feature Tile (links every pixel to a unique feature ID code) Attribute Data Fid 1510 District M41 MaxClass 3 Total 349 PCTDrivePay 20.63 PCTDiffTimes 18.62 PCTPublicTrans 11.75 PCTElsewhere 44.13 PCTNotAffected 4.87 Feature XML File (one for every feature) Manchester Congestion Charge
19. Future Technologies for Genesis More Interactivity and Models (data you can play with) Open Layers (be Google and Microsoft free) Flash/flex based Web GIS (for small datasets) Google Apps (for when you need 2000 servers) Google Native Client Demo1 , Demo2
20. GeoVUE has now moved to GENeSIS Were looking at visualising agent-based models and simulation Conways Game of Life Toru Iwatanis Pac-Man, circa 1980