Smithfield Foods Environmental Conference on Air Permitting and Compliance
Join Smithfield Foods at this environmental conference to learn about air permitting and compliance regulations and best practices. Network with industry professionals and gain insights to ensure environmental stewardship.
- Uploaded on | 3 Views
About Smithfield Foods Environmental Conference on Air Permitting and Compliance
PowerPoint presentation about 'Smithfield Foods Environmental Conference on Air Permitting and Compliance'. This presentation describes the topic on Join Smithfield Foods at this environmental conference to learn about air permitting and compliance regulations and best practices. Network with industry professionals and gain insights to ensure environmental stewardship.. The key topics included in this slideshow are . Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. Air Permitting and Compliance Air Permitting and Compliance Smithfield Foods Smithfield Foods Environmental Conference Environmental Conference Chicago, IL July 2013 Chicago, IL July 2013
2. • Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) – Combustion activities • Sulfur Oxides (SOx) – Combustion activities (especially fuel oil) • Particulate Matter (PM, PM10, PM2.5) – Combustion activities – Rendering activities – Cooking operations • Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – Combustion activities – Rendering operations • Carbon Monoxide (CO) – Combustion activities • Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – Combustion activities • Hazardous Air Pollutant – 203 different chemicals Conventional Pollutants
3. • Boilers • Smoke Generators / Smokehouses • Parts Washers • Diesel Fire Pumps • Emergency Generators • Cook Ovens / Microwave Ovens • Rendering Cookers • Hot Water Heaters • Biogas Flares • Control Equipment: Scrubbers /Baghouses What are some typical air pollution sources for meat processing?
4. • READ YOUR PERMIT • Know what all your air pollution sources are at your plant. ANYTHING WITH A STACK! Is it exempt? If yes, prove it in writing? • Document Permit Requirements/Due Dates/Frequency/Whose Responsible • Ensure appropriate records are kept! • IMPORTANT : When does the permit expire. You won’t get a new permit tomorrow Review Air Permits
5. • For emission sources without permits – assure that exemption requirements are met. Be prepared to prove to a regulator that the source is exempt!!! • Review new production initiatives – need an air permit? Gap Analysis
6. Summary of Permit Path Summary of Permit Path
7. • List of all equipment and capacities • Allowable emissions • Limits: – hours of operation, – production rates (tn/yr, tn/d), – types of fuel usage • Records Requirements: – hours of operation – production throughputs – fuels used – monthly emissions – throughputs: flow rates, pressure drops, other monitoring information – operations and maintenance plan • Requirement to perform stack test, annual emissions inventory, report accidents / excessive emissions / etc • Requirement to perform annual boiler tuning (good idea anyway) • Requirement to have O&M Plan. Basically how to operate and take care of all your air permit related equipment. What is in a typical air permit?
8. • Review potential to emit calculations annually • Conduct actual emission calculation annually • Review maintenance and inspection records for air pollution control devices On Going Requirements
9. Opacity – EPA Method 9 Certified – Develop an opacity SOP/EMP – Most states have general opacity statutes of 20% I can’t see…………………
10. • Date & time of complaint • Name, address & phone # of complainant • Weather conditions (wind speed & direction, temperature, overcast, rainy, or sunny) • Findings if any discernable odors beyond property boundary • Investigation notes from specific complaint • Date & time of inspection • Inspection conducted by:
11. • UNDERSTAND YOUR PERMIT – DOCUMENT ALL REQUIREMENTS: • LET WEBEMS BE YOUR FRIEND – Use ‘Monitoring and Measurement matrix’ – Use ‘Operational Control matrix’ – Use ‘Document Control matrix’ – Use ‘Record Retention matrix’ – Use ‘Training matrix’ – TRAIN – VERIFY THAT THE RECORDS ARE ROUTINELY KEPT – VERIFY THAT THEY ARE FILED APPROPRIATELY VERIFY THAT THE MONITORING IS CORRECT VERIFY THROUGH AN OUTSIDE AUDITOR (VENDOR?) 100% Compliance 100% of the Time
12. RICE RULE RICE RULE Mostly Effects EMERGENCY GENERATORS Maintenance Records Oil Monitoring Maintenance Plans Minimize Pollution
13. ???Questions??? ???Questions???