Latin America Study Guide - Geographical Understanding
Study guide for social studies students to locate and understand the geographic features of Amazon River, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and Pacific Ocean on a world map.
- Uploaded on | 11 Views
About Latin America Study Guide - Geographical Understanding
PowerPoint presentation about 'Latin America Study Guide - Geographical Understanding'. This presentation describes the topic on Study guide for social studies students to locate and understand the geographic features of Amazon River, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and Pacific Ocean on a world map.. The key topics included in this slideshow are . Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. Geographic Understanding – Latin America Study Guide SS6G1 Locate on a world map: Amazon River, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Panama Canal, Andes Mountains, Sierra Madre Mountains, and the Atacama Desert. Locate on a world map the countries of: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Haiti, Mexico, Panama, and Venezuela. SS6G2 Explain the major environmental concerns of Latin America regarding the issue of air pollution in Mexico City, the destruction of the rain forest in Brazil, and oil related pollution in Venezuela. SS6G3 Compare how location, climate, and natural resources of Mexico and Venezuela affect where people live and how they trade. Compare how the location, climate, and natural resources of Brazil and Cuba affect where people live and how they trade.
2. Identify three regions that make up Latin America. Mexico and Central America South America The Caribbean
3. What are the two prominent languages spoken in Latin America? Name four countries in Central America. Spanish and Portuguese Mexico, Belize, Panama, Costa Rico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua
4. Name four countries in South America. Brazil, Venezuela, Bolivia, Columbia, Chili, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana
5. Name four countries in the Caribbean. What bodies of water border Latin America? Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, etc. Pacific Ocean, Atlantic ocean, Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea
6. Name four physical features of landforms in Central America. Name four physical features or landforms in South America. Yucatan Peninsula, Sierra Madre Mountains, Isthmus of Panama and Lake Nicaragua Pampas, Patagonia, Amazon River, Amazon Rain Forest, Andes Mountains, Atacama Desert, Brazilian Highlands
7. How does geography play a role in Mexico’s City’s air pollution? What are the main sources of air pollution in Mexico City? Mexico is located in a bowl shaped valley that traps air pollutants. Cars and factories cause most of the pollution.
8. How is the Mexican government trying to solve this problem? Drivers have to leave cars home one day a week. Citizens are encouraged to ride buses and trains or carpool. Cars are inspected often. Bad exhaust systems must be repaired. Factories are asked to close on high pollution days.
9. Why is deforestation of the Amazon Rain Forest a major concern? List several reasons. 20% if world’s oxygen comes from the rain forest. Plants to heal come form here. 20% of the world’s fresh water comes from here
10. Explain why deforestation increases when the value of crops and cattle go up. What is the main crop in areas of deforestation? The farmers think they can make more profit selling cattle and crops. Soybeans would be the main crop grown.
11. Explain why oil production in Venezuela is a problem. What is the Venezuelan government doing to help solve this problem? There are problems with polluted streams, there are breathing problems for the young and the elderly. The government is building a dike to keep water in the lake from flooding the nearby homes and towns.
12. Which metal is mined more in Mexico than anywhere else? Which country has about three-fourths of the trade with Mexico? Silver is the metal mined more in Mexico than anywhere else. The United States is a major trade partner with Mexico.
13. Where do most people in Mexico live and why? Why are farmers having a hard time? Most people in Mexico live in urban areas in the Central Plateau. The people in in the urban areas because this is where the factories are located.
14. How has Venezuela’s location helped its trade with other countries? Why are so few Venezuelans becoming farmers? Venezuela is located near the panama Canal and is bordered by the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic ocean. The land along the coast is very dry and that is why few people want to become farmers.
15. What are the negative effects of Venezuela’s oil industry? Where do most Venezuelans live and why? The oil industry is polluting the Caribbean Sea, also when the price of oil goes down the government has a hard time paying their bills. Most people in Venezuela live in cities located along the northern coast. Most of the jobs are located in the cities.
16. Where do most Brazilians live and why? What are the major crops grown in Brazil? What are the major natural resources found in Brazil? Most people in Brazil live in cities located along the eastern coast. This is where the jobs are located. The major crops grown in Brazil is coffee Other natural resources in brazil are oranges, papayas, soybeans and sugar cane
17. Why is tourism a major industry in Brazil? How has Brazil’s location helped its trade with other countries? Tourism is important because you can see things in Brazil that you can’t see anywhere else. Brazil is located on the Atlantic Ocean and is close to the Panama Canal.
18. How has Cuba’s location helped the country? What is a major export for Cuba? Cuba is an island on the ocean trade route. Sugar cane and cigars are major exports from Cuba.
19. What product does Venezuela provide to Cuba? Describe Cuba’s government. Why does the Soviet Union no longer support Cuba? Venezuela sells oil to Cuba at an reduced rate. Cuba is a communist government which means the government owns or controls most farms and businesses. The Soviet Union no longer supports Cuba because the Soviet union no longer exists.