Pocahontas and Avatar - Exposing the True Definition of Imperialism
These two films brilliantly portray imperialism as a policy of extending power and influence through colonization and the use of military force.
- Uploaded on | 8 Views
About Pocahontas and Avatar - Exposing the True Definition of Imperialism
PowerPoint presentation about 'Pocahontas and Avatar - Exposing the True Definition of Imperialism'. This presentation describes the topic on These two films brilliantly portray imperialism as a policy of extending power and influence through colonization and the use of military force.. The key topics included in this slideshow are . Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. POCAHONTAS & AVATAR
2. Definition of Imperialism A policy of extending a countrys power and influence through colonization, use of military force or other means A system in which one controls other countries, often after defeating them in a war The fact of a powerful country increasing its influence over other countries through business, culture etc.
3. Definition of Colonize Send settlers to a place and establish political control over it Settle among and establish control over the indigenous people of an area Appropriate a place or domain for one's own use
4. Reasons Economic Motives Raw materials and vast trade markets needed to fuel the Industrial Revolution
5. Reasons Nationalism European nations wanted to prove their power and prestige
6. Reasons Balance of Power European nations were forced to acquire colonies to balance with their neighboring nations and competitors
7. Reasons White Mans Burden The Europeans sense of superiority made them feel obligated to civilize the heathen savages they encountered
8. Two Types of Empire Informal Interest in regions and nations which were not a formal part of the Empire Not colonies and not formally rules by the British Powerful nation has influence over the less powerful nations Example: China British, French, Germans, Russians and Americans controlled trade in China Example: India British had trade relations with the nation Were not in position to challenge the Mughal Empire
9. Two Types of Empire Formal Empire Powerful nation conquer lands Motherland exercises political and economical control over new found colonies The sun never sets on the British Empire
10. Pocahontas Arriving at new land 9:53 Savages
11. Pocahontas-Savages (Europeans) What can you expect From filthy little heathens? Their whole disgusting race is like a curse Their skin's a hellish red They're only good when dead They're vermin, as I said And worse They're savages! Savages! Barely even human Savages! Savages! Drive them from our shore! They're not like you and me Which means they must be evil We must sound the drums of war! They're savages! Savages! Dirty redskin devils! Now we sound the drums of war!
12. Pocahontas-Savages (Native Americans) This is what we feared The paleface is a demon The only thing they feel at all is greed Beneath that milky hide There's emptiness inside I wonder if they even bleed They're savages! Savages! Barely even human Savages! Savages! Killers at the core They're different from us Which means they can't be trusted We must sound the drums of war They're savages! Savages! First we deal with this one Then we sound the drums of war
13. Avatar Motherland = Earth Colony = Pandora Resources Relationship with the locals