Energy Market Surveillance in Europe: Horizon2020 EE15 Info Session
This session discusses the market surveillance of energy-related products in Europe under the Horizon2020 program, with insights from Ewout Deurwaarder of the European Commission on energy efficiency policies and Sergio Ferreira on large buyer groups.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Energy Market Surveillance in Europe: Horizon2020 EE15 Info Session
PowerPoint presentation about 'Energy Market Surveillance in Europe: Horizon2020 EE15 Info Session'. This presentation describes the topic on This session discusses the market surveillance of energy-related products in Europe under the Horizon2020 program, with insights from Ewout Deurwaarder of the European Commission on energy efficiency policies and Sergio Ferreira on large buyer groups.. The key topics included in this slideshow are Energy Market Surveillance, Horizon2020, EE15 Policy, Large Buyer Groups, Energy Efficiency Information Day,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
2. Parallel session: Market Surveillance of EU product legislation (EE15) & Large buyer groups (EE17) Horizon 2020 Energy Efficiency Information Day 12 December 2014
3. 15:45-15:50 Welcome and introduction Nina Klemola 15:50-16:05 EE15 Policy Background Ewout Deurwaarder 16:05-16:15 EE15 Topic details Sergio Ferreira 16:15-16:25 EE17 Topic details Sergio Ferreira 16:25-17:00 Q&A Agenda
4. Energy Energy Market surveillance of energy-related products in Europe Horizon2020 EE15 info session 12 December 2014 Ewout Deurwaarder European Commission Directorate General for Energy Unit C3, Energy efficiency
5. How do we achieve energy efficiency in product design? Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC Both Directives are frameworks defining the rules for setting product-specific requirements through Regulations . Efficient products Supply side Demand side Energy Labelling Directive 2010/30/EU + Labelling of Tyres (Regulation 1222/2009) Combined effect ensures a dynamic improvement of the market:
6. 24 ecodesign regulations (+4 amendments) 24 ecodesign regulations (+4 amendments) 1275/2008 Electric power consumption standby and off mode 1275/2008 Electric power consumption standby and off mode 107/2009 Simple set-top boxes 107/2009 Simple set-top boxes 244+859/2009 Non-directional household lamps 244+859/2009 Non-directional household lamps 245/2009 Fluorescent lamps for high intensity discharge lamps +347/2010 245/2009 Fluorescent lamps for high intensity discharge lamps +347/2010 278/2009 External power supplies 278/2009 External power supplies 640/2009 + 4/2014 Electric motors 640/2009 + 4/2014 Electric motors 641/2009 + 622/2012 Circulators 641/2009 + 622/2012 Circulators 642/2009 Televisions 642/2009 Televisions 643/2009 Household refrigerating appliances 643/2009 Household refrigerating appliances 1015/2010 Household washing machines 1015/2010 Household washing machines 1016/2010 Household dishwashers 1016/2010 Household dishwashers 327/2011 Industrial fans 327/2011 Industrial fans 206/2012 Airco and comfort fans 206/2012 Airco and comfort fans 547/2012 Water pumps 547/2012 Water pumps 932/2012 Household tumble driers 932/2012 Household tumble driers 1194/2012 Directional lamps 1194/2012 Directional lamps 617/2013 Computers and servers 617/2013 Computers and servers 666/2013 Vacuum cleaners 666/2013 Vacuum cleaners 801/2013 Networked standby 801/2013 Networked standby 813/2013 Space heaters 813/2013 Space heaters 814/2013 Water heaters & storage tanks 814/2013 Water heaters & storage tanks 66/2014 D omestic ovens, hobs and range hoods 66/2014 D omestic ovens, hobs and range hoods 548/2014 Power transformers 548/2014 Power transformers 1253/2014 Ventilation units 1253/2014 Ventilation units 2 voluntary agreements COM (2012) 684 Complex set top boxes COM (2013) 23 Imaging equipment Tyre labelling + 2 implementing regulations 1222/2009 Fuel efficiency and other essential parameters 228/2011 Wet grip testing method for C1 tyres 1235/2011 Wet grip grading of C2, C3 tyres, measurement of tyres rolling resistance and verification procedure Product-specific measures 65/2014 D omestic ovens, hobs and range hoods 1254/2014 Residential ventilation units
7. Enforcement Market surveillance is the role of national authorities, it includes: Inspecting technical documentation Product testing Inspection of labels in shops and on the internet Random and/or risk based sampling Cooperation with other market surveillance authorities Market surveillance regulation 765/2008 Applies to all Union harmonisation legislation on products Applies also to Ecodesign, Energy Labelling and Tyre Labelling New proposal under negotiation in European Parliament and Council
10. Energy Energy Reality Ecodesign and energy labelling 10 Number of MS 2009 2010 2011 2012 Significant testing activity: 4 4 5 8 Significant other activity: 6 7 8 8 Moderate activity: 8 5 6 6 Low activity: 5 5 3 3 No activity: 4 6 5 2
11. Energy Energy Solutions 11
12. Energy Energy Solutions More priority and resources at national level More cooperation at EU level, including joint surveillance actions EU-level product registration/database (EU-level market surveillance authority) 12
13. Challenge: By 2020 full implementation of the EU product efficiency legislation should be one of the most important contributions to the EU energy efficiency target; Need for market surveillance. EE 15: Ensuring effective implementation of EU product efficiency legislation. CSA
14. Scope: Building up monitoring, verification and enforcement of the EU's related products policy; Need to involve Market Surveillance Authorities (MSAs) and Consumer (end-user) Associations; Go beyond the 'normal' activities of MSAs; High EU transnational added value. EE 15: Ensuring effective implementation of EU product efficiency legislation.
15. Impact: Stronger enforcement of EU product legislation; Increased market confidence; Every million of EU funding should lead to at least 15 GWh/year of avoided energy losses. EE 15: Ensuring effective implementation of EU product efficiency legislation.
16. Pilot Exercise in coordinated activity of MSAs www.ecopliant.eu Ecopliant Product group: TVs www.compliantv.eu ComplianTV Product group: refrigerators www.atlete.eu ATLETE Product group: Washing machines www.atlete.eu/2/ ATLETE II Civil Society Organizations http://www.market-watch.eu/ MarketWatch Previous IEE project examples on market surveillance related activities EE 15: Ensuring effective implementation of EU product efficiency legislation.
17. 2014 Lessons learned Involve MSAs Justify choice of product group(s) Substantiate the foreseen energy savings Do not do the same than previous projects EU transnational added value (>28 MSAs) EE 15: Ensuring effective implementation of EU product efficiency legislation.
18. Large buyer groups (EE17)
19. Challenge: The larger the group of buyers, the higher the potential for manufacturer's interest and for ambitious product specifications; Innovative 'Technology procurement' has been successfully applied to a few product groups but is not widely spread; Fragmented procurement market. EE 17: Driving energy innovation through large buyer groups CSA
20. Scope Products with large potential for market demand and supporting EU energy targets; Energy-using or producing products; Higher-than-available performance; Ambitious but achievable technical specifications; No market distortion; Simple procurement belongs to topic EE8 (closed in 2015) ; EE 17: Driving energy innovation through large buyer groups
21. Impact Creation of influential buyer groups; New products with at least 25% better energy performance; Improved competitiveness of manufacturers. EE 17: Driving energy innovation through large buyer groups
22. What this means for a consortium? Acting as 'facilitators' to setup large buyer groups; Investigating and preparing the innovative minimum energy performance requirement, including economic and technical feasibility; Communication activities to encourage buyers and manufacturers to join in as market leaders in energy efficient products. EE 17: Driving energy innovation through large buyer groups
23. Some pointers Public procurement of existing products is not within scope; Objective is not to bring price down; Objective is to drive innovation up at affordable prices by lowering the risk for manufacturers; Prototyping is not eligible; EE 17: Driving energy innovation through large buyer groups Observance of 2014 Procurement Directives 2014/23/EU (the Concessions Directive), 2014/24/EU (the Public Sector Directive) and 2014/25/EU (the Utilities Directive).
24. Further info: EE15 http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/2362-ee-15-2014.html EE17 - http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/2378-ee-17-2015.html To remember: Coordination and Support Action (CSA) Call open: 10 December 2014 Call deadline: 04 June 2015 FAQs available soon EE15 and EE17
26. Thank you very much for your attention For more information: H2020 Participant Portal: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/home.html EASME ENERGY EASME-Energy@ec.europa.eu