Improving Service Learning Practice: Tips and Tools for Educators
This article provides practical advice for educators on enhancing their service learning practice. Topics covered include project identification, connecting to best practices in instruction, and designing effective reflections. The article also addresses common criticisms of service learning and showcases its positive impacts nationally.
- Uploaded on | 2 Views
About Improving Service Learning Practice: Tips and Tools for Educators
PowerPoint presentation about 'Improving Service Learning Practice: Tips and Tools for Educators'. This presentation describes the topic on This article provides practical advice for educators on enhancing their service learning practice. Topics covered include project identification, connecting to best practices in instruction, and designing effective reflections. The article also addresses common criticisms of service learning and showcases its positive impacts nationally.. The key topics included in this slideshow are service learning, education, best practices, project identification, instruction,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. Improving Service-Learning Practice Improving Service-Learning Practice Shelley H. Billig, Ph.D. Shelley H. Billig, Ph.D. RMC Research Corporation, Denver RMC Research Corporation, Denver (800) 922-3636 (800) 922-3636 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Agenda Agenda Why Participate in Service-Learning? Quick Play: Top 10 Taking on the Critics Service-Learning Impacts Nationally Quality Counts Designing Service-Learning: Toolkit Ideas for Project Identification Linking to Best Practice in Instruction Ideas for Reflection Wrapping Up Q and A
3. Quick Play: Getting to Know You Mixer Quick Play: Getting to Know You Mixer Top 10 Reasons to Engage in Service-Learning
4. Taking on the Critics Taking on the Critics So why doesnt everyone do service- learning? Complete the taking on the critics handouts as a group.
5. Impacts of Service-Learning on Youth Impacts of Service-Learning on Youth Learning Increased engagement in learning activities Increased academic performance Improved thinking skills Social-emotional Better personal and social skills Fewer risky behaviors Civic Greater civic engagement Stronger ties to the community and society leading to more responsible behaviors Increased or sustained ethic of service Careers Increased knowledge of careers Higher educational aspirations
6. Impacts on Others Impacts on Others Community Community needs are met Adults view young people as resources instead of problems Communities have more social capital connections of youth to society Fewer incidences of risky behaviors Greater likelihood of having more volunteers when needed in emergencies Democracy Increased participation in democracy through voting and issue understanding
7. Quality Counts Quality Counts 1. Duration and Intensity 2. Link to curriculum 3. Cognitively challenging reflection 4. Youth voice 5. Respect for diversity 6. Meaningful service 7. Progress Monitoring 8. Reciprocal partnerships
8. Designing Service-Learning: Toolkit Designing Service-Learning: Toolkit 1. Assess community needs and resources. 2. Form community partnerships. 3. Set specific educational goals and link to curriculum. 4. Select a project. 5. Plan project in detail. 6. Acquire funding and resources. 7. Implement and manage the project. 8. Organize reflection activities. 9. Assess and evaluate. 10. Celebrate achievements.
9. Ideas for Project Identification Ideas for Project Identification Needs to have youth voice; Needs to be meaningful to those involved; Needs to be actionable and make a difference in a relatively short period of time.
10. One Idea: Increasing Youth Voice in Planning: Quick Play One Idea: Increasing Youth Voice in Planning: Quick Play If I had a million dollars. Draw a circle. Brainstorm If I had a million dollars to spend to solve community problems, what would I do? Divide your paper plate like a pie chart and show how much you would spend on what.
11. Linking to Best Practice in Instruction Linking to Best Practice in Instruction Marzano Activity Cut up the Marzano best practice elements Match where you could address the SL components.
12. SL Arc SL Arc Investigation Planning Action Reflection Demonstration Celebration
13. Improving Cognitive Challenge: Quick Play Improving Cognitive Challenge: Quick Play Taxonomy dice
14. Ideas for Reflection Ideas for Reflection Storyboards Metaphors Empathy v. sympathy Sharing Ideas>>>>> Resource: Connecting Thinking and Action www.servicelearning.org or www.rmcdenver.com
15. Wrapping Up Wrapping Up Q and A. Thanks so much!! More resources at www.servicelearning.org ; www.nylc.org ; www.gotoservicelearning.org