Recent News and Assignments
This article covers a range of topics, including a victory against ISIS in Syria, a choice between economic systems, a deadline for a new assignment, and a survivor's story from the Holocaust.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Recent News and Assignments
PowerPoint presentation about 'Recent News and Assignments'. This presentation describes the topic on This article covers a range of topics, including a victory against ISIS in Syria, a choice between economic systems, a deadline for a new assignment, and a survivor's story from the Holocaust.. The key topics included in this slideshow are Syria, ISIS, communism, capitalism, assignment,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. The side left behind The side left behind
2. Do Now Which is better, capitalism or communism? Explain your answer.
3. Information Finishing Europe - Ch. 13-4 and vocabulary due yesterday - Test tomorrow New MIRPL assignment - get it done early - due date selection
4. Current Events ISIS loses key Syrian city, Kobani - Kurdish fighters reclaim city after intense fighting - positive gains Survivor from Dr. Mengeles experiments - Angel of Death - survived multiple injections
5. Do Now Which is better, capitalism or communism? Explain your answer.
6. Nationalism and Eastern Europe Region ravaged by War - empires were broken up - fall of Ottoman empire Countries fought for independence - after freedom and war, division Balkanization - breaking up of empires into smaller countries
7. Rise of the Soviet Union After World War I - people tired of the Czars - started a revolution Russian Revolution (1917) - Communist Party took over - Vladimir Lenin All Russian territory - absorbed into the Soviet Union - called the U.S.S.R.
8. World War II and Soviet Union Germany and WWII - pledged not to invade the Soviet Union - Hitler lied and attacked After the war - Soviet Union put a barrier between their enemies (former allies) and their country - Eastern turned RED, new satellite nations
9. World War II led to Cold War U.S.S.R. under Stalin - fought with Allies against Germany - Soviet Union claimed many victories - took Eastern European countries East Germany and Poland - communist control U.S. and Soviet Relations - poor - essentially enemies after the War
10. Cold War The Facts War of Ideas - politics - weapons - Communism v. Democracy No open conflict - no bullets fired Time of massive weapon build up Nuclear weapons - Who has the bigger bomb
12. Cold War Capitalism v. Communism Communism Capitalism Government controls everything - laws, business, wages, production Dictatorship Strong Military No middle class - equal distribution of wealth - people share ownership Government controlled by the people - Democracy - free elections - free enterprise Market Economy - business profits Rich, Middle, and Poor Class - free to own property
13. T-P-S: Take a minute Why was Europe and the world so afraid of communism after the end of World War II?
14. Fall of Communism in Europe Soviet Union economy failing - spent money on an arms race - loss of control - economy couldnt compete with free market of the west By the end of the 1980s - Eastern European countries took back control - Germany reunified - democratic governments emerged
15. Problems today.
16. Exit: Summarize what you have learned about Eastern Europe in 5 sentences. Include: Introductory sentence, supporting sentences, and a conclusion.