Learning French: Using the Simple Future Tense
Discover how to use the simple future tense in French to talk about future events and make predictions. Learn about its formation, when to use it, and how it differs from the immediate future tense.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Learning French: Using the Simple Future Tense
PowerPoint presentation about 'Learning French: Using the Simple Future Tense'. This presentation describes the topic on Discover how to use the simple future tense in French to talk about future events and make predictions. Learn about its formation, when to use it, and how it differs from the immediate future tense.. The key topics included in this slideshow are French, simple future tense, formation, predictions, immediate future tense,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
2. So far, you have learned about how to say you are going to do something. (Aller + infinitive) Ex: Je vais faire les devoirs = Im going to do my homework. Now you will learn how to say you will do something.
3. The simple future (Le futur) is so-named because it is a one-word tense. In other words, its formation is simple because there is no auxillary.
4. The simple future is used to refer to future events, that is, to make predictions. It is more formal than the immediate future (aller + infinitive) although both tenses may be used in most contexts. The future proche, also called the futur immdiat, typically refers to a time very close to the present moment, i.e, the near or immediate future. The futur simple, on the other hand, is often used for events in the more distant future. Because the simple future is associated with distant future events, it often takes on a detached, objective quality making it the preferred tense for future events that represent general truths.
5. To form the future tense, you first need the stem of the verb: For IR and ER verbs, the stem is the infinitive. Ex: the future stem for finir is finir , the future stem for parler is parler . For RE verbs, the last E is dropped. Ex: the future stem for dire is dir , the future stem for prendre is prendr .
6. The endings for the future tense are: Je parlerAI = I will talk Tu parlerAS = You will talk Il/elle parlerA = He/she will talk Nous parlerONS = We will talk Vous parlerEZ = You (all) will talk Ils/elles parlerONT = They will talk
7. Je finirAI = I will finish Tu finirAS = You will finish Il/elle finirA = He/she will finish Nous finirONS = We will finish Vous finirEZ = You (all) will finish Ils/elles finirONT = They will finish
8. Je prendrAI = I will take Tu prendrAS = You will take Il/elle prendrA = He/she will take Nous prendrONS = We will take Vous prendrEZ = You (all) will take Ils/elles prendrONT= They will take
9. Je parle Mademoiselle James. Damon dors bien. Mimi et Vidya marchent vite. Toi et Shadden choisissez un dessert. Tu tudies le chinois. Yara et moi prenons le mtro.
10. Some irregular verbs in the present also have irregular stems in the future. THE ENDINGS WILL ALWAYS BE THE SAME.
11. Je ser AI = I will be Tu ser AS = You will be Il/elle ser A = He/she will be Nous ser ONS = We will be Vous ser EZ = You (all) will be Ils/elles ser ONT = They will be
12. J aur AI = I will have Tu aur AS = You will have Il/elle aur A = He/she will have Nous aur ONS = We will have Vous aur EZ = You (all) will have Ils/elles aur ONT = They will have
13. INFINITIVE STEM FUTURE TRANSLATION Aller Ir- Jirai I will go Courir Courr- Je courrai I will run Devoir Devr- Je devrai I will be obligated to Envoyer Enverr- Jenverrai I will send Faire Fer- Je ferai I will do/make Falloir Faudr- Il faudra It will be necessary Mourir Mourr- Je mourrai I will die
14. INFINITIVE STEM FUTURE TRANSLATION Obtenir Obtiendr- Jobtiendrai I will obtain Pouvoir Pourr- Je pourrai I will be able Recevoir Recevr- Je recevrai I will receive Savoir Saur- Je saurai I will know Venir Viendr- Je viendrai I will come Voir Verr- Je verrai I will see Vouloir Voudr- Je voudrai I will want