Characterization Characterization Who is that guy
Characterization Characterization Who is that guy Characterization Characterization Meaning Characterization is the way writers d
- Uploaded on | 2 Views
About Characterization Characterization Who is that guy
PowerPoint presentation about 'Characterization Characterization Who is that guy'. This presentation describes the topic on Characterization Characterization Who is that guy Characterization Characterization Meaning Characterization is the way writers d. The key topics included in this slideshow are . Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. Characterization Characterization Who is that guy?
2. 1. Characterization 1. Characterization Meaning – Characterization is the way writers develop characters in a story Two types – ◦ Direct Characterization ◦ Indirect Characterization
3. Characterization Characterization How does detailed characterization help make a story better? It seems to me that detailed characterization helps to make a story better because…
4. 2. Direct Characterization 2. Direct Characterization Meaning – when the writer directly tells the reader what a character is like Example ◦ Sherlock Holmes is clever and resourceful. ◦ Dracula is an evil vampire.
5. 3. Indirect Characterization 3. Indirect Characterization Meaning – When the writer gives the reader clues about the character by describing how the character acts and thinks. The writer allows the reader to decide how to view the character.
6. Direct vs Indirect Characterization Direct vs Indirect Characterization Why do you think it might be harder to understand indirect characterization than direct characterization ? It seems to me that it might be harder to understand indirect characterization than direct characterization because…
7. 4. Protagonist 4. Protagonist Meaning – the main character Example ◦ Alice from Alice in Wonderland ◦ Tarzan from Tarzan ◦ Cinderalla from Cinderella
8. Protagonist Protagonist Who is the protagonist of your favorite book, movie, or story? My favorite protagonist is the character ______.
9. 5. Antagonist 5. Antagonist Meaning – the character that the protagonist struggles against ◦ The “bad guy” Example: ◦ Captain Hook from Peter Pan ◦ The Big Bad Wolf from The Three Little Pigs
10. Antagonist Antagonist Who is an antagonist who you greatly dislike? One antagonist who I greatly dislike is ______, because _________.
11. 6. Subordinate Characters 6. Subordinate Characters Meaning – characters who do not play major roles in a story Example: ◦ Extras in a movie ◦ The evil step-sisters from Cinderella
12. 7. Motivations 7. Motivations Meaning – the reason why a character does something Example ◦ In Cinderella , the prince’s motivation for searching for the owner of the glass slipper is love.
13. 8. Round Characters 8. Round Characters Round characters are well developed characters. The author tells the reader a lot about the character.
14. Round Character Round Character In your opinion is a round character more likely to be a protagonist or a subordinate character? In my opinion, a round character is more likely to be a ______________.
15. 9. Flat Characters 9. Flat Characters Flat characters are not developed. Readers know very little about them. ◦ Usually a minor character
16. Flat Character Flat Character In your opinion is a flat character more likely to be a protagonist or a subordinate character? In my opinion, a flat character is more likely to be a ______________.
17. 10. Dynamic 10. Dynamic Dy-na-mic (adjective) – describing word Meaning – changing; able to do many things Example ◦ Dynamic students are able to get good grades in many of their classes. ◦ It is good for teachers to be dynamic , so that they can help their students with many subjects.
18. Dynamic Dynamic Why do bosses like to have dynamic workers? It seems to me that bosses like to have dynamic workers because…
19. 11. Dynamic Character 11. Dynamic Character Meaning – a character who changes during the course of story. Often the change involves learning a major lesson Example: ◦ Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol learns to be more generous.
20. 12. Static 12. Static Sta-tic (adjective) – describing word Meaning – not changing Example ◦ If employees do not work hard, they will remain static in their careers. ◦ If you are getting bad grades and you do not turn in make-up work, your scores will remain static .
21. Static Static If a student has bad grades, what is one way to make sure that his scores do not remain static ? If a student has bad grades, one way for him to make sure that they do not remain static is to…
22. 13. Static Character 13. Static Character Meaning – A character who does not change during the story
23. 14. Dialogue 14. Dialogue Meaning – Conversations that characters have among each other. Usually indicated by quotation marks.