Surviving Thompson's English Class
This class is full of transitions, from moving up grades and navigating new homeroom procedures, to honing your writing skills. We'll be writing every day and keeping writing notebooks, so be prepared to share about yourself and your interests.
- Uploaded on | 1 Views
About Surviving Thompson's English Class
PowerPoint presentation about 'Surviving Thompson's English Class'. This presentation describes the topic on This class is full of transitions, from moving up grades and navigating new homeroom procedures, to honing your writing skills. We'll be writing every day and keeping writing notebooks, so be prepared to share about yourself and your interests.. The key topics included in this slideshow are transitions, writing, survival guide, English class, journaling,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
2. Great Expectations A Survival Guide to Thompsons English Class
3. A Year of Transitions 8 th to 9 th grade Second year of Block Schedule (Different Homeroom Procedures) Junior High to High School A rant about capitalization and titles . Transitions in Writing: Well talk about them, too!
4. Writing Well write every day in this classstarting now. Writing Notebooks: Leave the first three pages blank. Youll use em later. Introduction: Tell me about yourself. Include a sentence or two on the following topics: reading, writing, favorite class/teacher, interests and abilities, hobbies/jobs, and something that will help me remember your name!
5. How long does it have to be? Already?! Really?! You cant even go one freakin day without asking for some arbitrary boundary?! Youre writing about YOURSELF! Youre already an expert on this topic! Fascinate me! Engage me! (And make sure it doesnt suck!) Write about your expectations
6. What do you expect of the first day of school? of an English class? of an English teacher? of your ninth grade year in general? of yourself? Why?
7. What do you want to know about this class? about your classmates? about me? about the school? about English? about anything else?
8. Write NowRight Now! Now that youve got some ideas, take a few minutes and write. Dont worry! This is informal. Okay, now we can continue with MY expectations.
9. What I expect of you is that you come to class ready to learn: Paper to write on Pen or pencil to write with Homework or class activities completed Reading bookalways! A willingness to learn and let others do the same
10. What I expect of you is that you follow the Classroom Policy: Personal Responsibility
11. What I expect of you Personal Responsibility Dilbert has not learned Personal Responsibility.
12. What I expect of you Personal Responsibility Nothing destroys the individuality of a man, a woman, or a child so much as the failure to be self-reliant. --Heber J. Grant
13. What I expect of you Personal Responsibility If it happens to you, its your problem. Now what are YOU gonna do about it? --W. M. Thompson
14. What I expect of you is that you live by Lifes Great Equations: Freedom = Responsibility Choice = Consequence
15. What about homework? Twice a week on average for written work Reading every night! Long-term assignments and projects require more of your own time. Its collected and scored when it is due. I dont give it just to keep you busy.
16. What about reading? Im awfully glad you asked! Youll get detailed instructions , but you will be responsible to follow them on your own! Just do it!
17. What about citizenship? No systematic policy School policy: Tardies/Unexcused Absences Respect, Cooperation, Honesty Everyone starts with an S. Off the record: I hate filing those stupid discipline and tardy forms with the office, so if you never make me put your name on one, your citizenship will probably be just fine!
18. What about grades?* You fail only when you fail to try. If you are here every day and you turn in every assignment, you cant fail. Your grade is in your own hands. I dont give grades; you earn them. *The grading scale is on your disclosure. Dont lose it!
19. A Valuable Resource http://ffjh.davis.k12.ut.us/thompson/
20. Dont Do ask me to borrow supplies. tell me you gotta pee. make me repeat. make excuses. have Mommy make excuses for you. try to make me feel sorry for you. try to get other people to solve your problems for you. be prepared present your hall pass ticket. listen as well as hear. accept responsibility for yourself. accept responsibility for yourself. accept responsibility for yourself. accept responsibility for yourself.
21. Miscellany The temperature: Freeze or Fry The stuff: Dont mess with it! The bell: Ignore it! The door: Moo! Its an emergency! Fire drills: The New Cruelty Announcements/Phone: The Old Cruelty
22. More Miscellany Lecterns vs. Podiums Dais anyone? Apostrophe Abominations : Its vs. Its Candy, Pop, Gum, and Underwear If I cant see it Lets Rock n Roll! *<%^)
23. The End