Sourcing and Referencing the Literature: A Guide for Academic Research
This guide, written by Jenny Cameron, a Research Librarian from Victoria University, provides essential tips and techniques for effectively sourcing and referencing literature for academic research. It offers valuable assistance to students and researchers looking to enhance their research skills.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About Sourcing and Referencing the Literature: A Guide for Academic Research
PowerPoint presentation about 'Sourcing and Referencing the Literature: A Guide for Academic Research'. This presentation describes the topic on This guide, written by Jenny Cameron, a Research Librarian from Victoria University, provides essential tips and techniques for effectively sourcing and referencing literature for academic research. It offers valuable assistance to students and researchers looking to enhance their research skills.. The key topics included in this slideshow are literature, sourcing, referencing, academic research, research skills,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. 1 WWW.VU.EDU.AU Sourcing and referencing the literature Jenny Cameron Research Librarian Jennifer Tripp Sunshine Campus Library April 2010
2. 2 Session Your background Finding relevant literature Searching techniques Document delivery and library support
3. 3 Your background Where are you from? What is your experience of literature searching? What facilities do you have access to?
4. 4 Reviewing the literature Establish whether there is already research on your topic Think about the scope of your topic and the purpose of the research, time period, geographic region, intended audience, related disciplines Identify keywords synonyms, acronyms, alternative spellings, related terms, international terms, former terms or change in terminology Consider the types of resources you will use: books, journals, databases, web resources, theses, conference papers, government publications Where you will locate the information libraries, databases, websites, organisations like the ABS or NCVER, free or subscription?
5. 5 Reviewing the literature, websites Writing a literature review Victoria University http://tls.vu.edu.au/vucollege/learninghub/degreestudysupport/literature_review/1_ home.html Conducting a literature review University of Melbourne http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/postgrad/litreview/gettingstarted.html Literature review - Central Queensland University http://www.library.cqu.edu.au/tutorials/litreviewpages/index.htm Writing a literature review Monash University http://www.monash.edu.au/lls/llonline/writing/general/lit-reviews/index.xml
6. 6 Information for Researchers page
7. 7 Databases - free access VU Vocational Education and Training (VET) Infolink http://w2.vu.edu.au/library/infolink/education/vet1.htm ERIC (education literature, international) http://www.eric.ed.gov/ VOCED (VET research, Australian & international) http://www.voced.edu.au/ Edna (Australia's free online network for educators) http://www.edna.edu.au/edna/go/vet
8. 8 Search techniques Think of alternative words Check the database thesaurus for terms training or instruction student attrition or student retention Use truncation where possible: symbols such as * or ? e.g. train* searches for train, trainer, training e.g. work* searchers for work, worker, workplace, working Think about how you combine your search terms Boolean AND OR or NOT Quotation marks for phrases?
9. 9 Search techniques contd
10. 10 Google searching Always notice the total number of results (6 million? 60,000?) Try putting quotation marks around any phrases Try Advanced search Restrict search by file format , eg. Only PDF Occurrences : ask for results to occur only in the title of the page Domain : include or exclude particular sites or domains Google Help Central check it out
11. 11 Google Advanced Search
12. 12 Google Advanced Search
13. 13 Google Scholar Searches across many disciplines and sources: peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles, from academic publishers, professional societies, digital repositories, universities and other scholarly organizations.
14. 14 Google Scholar - Advanced
15. 15 Managing references Referencing style - Harvard EndNote RefWorks Social bookmarking: del.icio.us
16. 16 Document delivery and library support Who to contact for support at your library? Is there a research or liaison librarian? Do you have access to interlibrary loan facilities? VU has fee for service interlibrary loans for external members
17. 17 SearchTips: Search for a phrase use quotation marks Exclude terms: use a minus sign in front of term salsa -sauce Include single digits or letters in search without google ignoring them put a plus sign directly in front +1 August Search for alternative terms/synonyms use tilda sign ~ teen teen OR adolescent OR teenager Search for information on particular years 2 dots 1960..1964 Answer to a question the parachute was invented by * also try Im feeling lucky Find the definition to a term define:due diligence Limit to an educational or organisational website site:edu OR site:org Search in the title of the webpage: allintitle:global warming