The Spread and Impact of Enlightenment Ideas
This chapter explores the spread and impact of Enlightenment ideas throughout Europe, examining changes in art, music, literature, and government. Students will gain an understanding of how these new ideas had a profound influence on the Western world.
- Uploaded on | 0 Views
About The Spread and Impact of Enlightenment Ideas
PowerPoint presentation about 'The Spread and Impact of Enlightenment Ideas'. This presentation describes the topic on This chapter explores the spread and impact of Enlightenment ideas throughout Europe, examining changes in art, music, literature, and government. Students will gain an understanding of how these new ideas had a profound influence on the Western world.. The key topics included in this slideshow are Enlightenment, Europe, art, music, literature, government, influence, spread,. Download this presentation absolutely free.
1. The Enlightenment Spreads Chapter 6-3
2. Goals and Objectives Upon completion students should be able to: 1) Explain how Enlightenment ideas spread throughout Europe. 2) Describe changes in art, music and literature during the Enlightenment. 3) Show how the Enlightenment ideas reformed European monarchies.
3. New ideas Enlightenment ideas spread through the Western world and profoundly influence the arts and government
4. A World of Ideas Paris becomes center of Enlightenment during 1700s City is home to salons gathering where thinkers discuss ideas
5. Diderots Encyclopedia Denis Diderot begins publishing his work in 1751 Encyclopedia is a set of books in which thinkers contributed essays
6. Angers French government and the Catholic church Helps spread ideas of the Enlightenment
7. New Artistic Ideas Neoclassical Ideas styles based on Greek/Roman ideas Pre-Enlightenment art style was baroque grand, ornate design
8. Classical music emerges lighter, more elegant than earlier style Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven
9. Novel emerges works of fiction with detailed plots and characters
10. Enlightenment Despots Enlightenment Despots monarchs who embrace enlightenment values to strengthen their rule
11. Frederick the Great Frederick II, King of Prussia, reforms education and justice system Grants religious freedom, abolishes torture, fails to end serfdom
12. Joseph II Joseph II of Austria allows freedom of worship and press Abolishes serfdom, but the practice is reinstated after his death
13. Catherine the Great Enlightenment ruler of Russia,1762 1796 Seeks to abolish capital punishment and torture, but effort fails
14. Responds to peasant revolt by giving more power to the nobles over serfs
15. Successfully expands Russian Empire Gains port access for Russia by capturing northern coast of the Black Sea
16. Seizes large parts of Poland, increasing empires size
17. Review exercise Answer the following question? 1. What factors allowed the Enlightenment to spread? List and explain them 2. What city was considered to be the center of the Enlightenment? Why was this? 3. What specific changes were seen in art, literature and music as a result of the Enlightenment? 4. What were Enlightenment despots? 5. What changes were attempted by some of the Enlightenment despots?